Fall is when I ramp up my usage of the slow cooker. Here is a recipe that is healthy, warming, and fragrant with coconut and curry.
Red Lentil Slow Cooker Soup
Based on this recipe.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours minimum in the slow cooker
- 2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions and 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped, OR 1 packet of frozen chopped onions and celery (like the one above)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or a big scoop from Costco’s gallon-sized minced garlic container)
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder (I like the one above)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, including juice
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth or
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- In a large skillet, set heat to medium and add oil. After a minute or so add chopped onion. Cook and stir onion until translucent and browned. Or just add frozen vegetables and cook all together.
- Add celery and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, turmeric, curry powder, salt and pepper; cook, stirring for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon mixture into slow cooker and then add lentils, carrots, lemon juice, and broth to the slow cooker. Stir everything together and cover.
- Cook on high for 3-5 hours, or low for 7-10 hours.
- Stir in coconut milk and cook on high for 10-20 minutes.
- Serve with biscuits like these delicious ones.